Monday, February 14, 2011

A Simply Awesome Valentine's Day...and I haven't spent a dime!

Happy Valentine's Day! It's been a different one around here today. We committed to not spend any money on Valentine's Day this year.  This has forced me to put my thinking cap on...or more like turn my thinking cap on! I wear it all the time, but I admit I shut it off sometimes to recharge the batteries...(okay, so maybe that was really weird to share...I don't know where that came from).
Although you won't find me going all out, I did have a few ideas for us to celebrate Valentine's Day...almost all requiring me to BAKE :) Which I LOVE!!

For lunch, I made heart shaped pizza crust for the boys to "decorate," bake & eat for lunch. I served it with PINK lemonade - freshly squeezed...from the lemon juice bottle ;) I'm fortunate to have a husband who comes home everyday for lunch so I made one especially for him. Nothing says, "I love you" like a pizza topped with a heart made out of spinach (seriously though, it was delicious! Ham, onion, banana pepper & spinach...mmmm)
 Caleb & Keston topped theirs with pineapple, ham & cheese - their all time favorite!

 He devoured it BEFORE his salad :) Good till the last bite!


I wrote special love notes on their paper plates. They LOVED that! I didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal but they (Caleb & Keston) were pumped to see the letters of their name AND were able to point out that XOXO meant hugs & kisses. I'll tell ya, these boys melt my heart!
 As usual, Keston picked his toppings off first & then ate his crust...shirtless (I don't let him run around like this, I promise!)

Eli got in on all the fun too. He enjoyed part of my crust :)


And as a special part of our day, Caleb & I were going to make these...

but all day I've been fighting an awful nauseating headache so we'll have to make them for another occasion...sorry buddy.

Click HERE for the recipe on allrecipes.com...


We did get some baking done this morning though. After a breakfast of pink oatmeal Caleb, Keston & I made some LOVE MUFFINS...aka "banana muffins" for their Daddy.  To make them extra special I drizzled them with cream cheese icing & let the boys sprinkle them with red sugar. That way he'd know they were extra special for Valentine's Day!!


And lastly...even though I committed to not spending any money for V-day...my husband apparently didn't...little devil!! *big grin* We spent SO much money last week when we needed to have our van towed because of a flat that came off the rim...so between our AAA upgrade, and two new front tires...well...let's just say we spent enough to throw any Valentine's Day gift ideas out the window...or so I thought anyway. Andy came home for lunch with these beauties!

I am TOTALLY enjoying them too!
Thank you, My Love! Happy Valentine's Day!
If any of you are wondering if I did ANYTHING besides make pizza for Andy for Valentine's Day, I want to let you know that I did make him a valentine...it's not fancy, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be special for him. I also did something that he's been wanting me to do for a lonnnng time. I called & closed my credit card account. I haven't used it for over 2 years but just the fact that the account is open really bothers him...so time to do something for him that he's been waiting for! Dave Ramsey would be proud!!

And Happy Valentine's Day to any of you who take the time to read my blog. I think you're pretty awesome & deserve a big fat XOXO from me!!!

XOXOXOXOXO,
Julie

2 comments:

  1. i'm totally going to have to remember this sometime.
    sometimes i try to be so creative...that i quelch the creativity because i get so overwhelmed. SIMPLE. i just have to remind myself to be SIMPLE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I set up an account just so I can tell you how awesome this blog is!!

    ReplyDelete

Printer Friendly View

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...