Summer break is here!!Ya know, this means SUMMER READING programs are starting at libraries everywhere!! So to help you all get started, I thought I'd post some of my older sons' favorite reads. They are pre-schoolers - ages 5 & 3 1/2.
We often grab a random mix of books from the children's section at our local library, & I have to confess, I am often disappointed with what we bring home. Seriously, it seems like anything can be published now, doesn't it? So jot these down & see what YOU think! I'll hold back my critical craving to share my reject list ;)
1. Pete The Cat - by Eric Litwin/James Dean (SUPER fun book modeling a great attitude! "It's ALLLL good!" Watch this adorable video if you've never heard of Pete the Cat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNAeRy6jS7c&feature=related )
2. Skippy Jon Jones - by Judy Schachner (fun to listen to the CD of this - but nearly impossible to read!)
3. The Very Greedy Bee - Steve Smallmon/Jack Tickle (Great lesson about greed & how it's best to share!)
4. Chrysanthemum - by Kevin Henkes (A good story about teasing & loving yourself.)
5. Friends to Feed - by Pete Seeger/Paul DuBois Jacobs/ Michael Hays (We love this story! There is a version of this book that comes on CD inside the book & we all love to listen to it together & follow along. The first time we read it, we made Minestrone together afterwards & I told them it was "Stone Soup" instead of Minestrone....minus the stone, of course!)
6. Llama Llama Red Pajama - by Anna Dewdney (A rhyming read-aloud that puts my boys in the rhyming mood. We like to play a rhyming game when we're done. "What rhymes with....._______?")
7. Marsupia Sue presents The Runaway Pancake - John Lithgow/ Jack Davis - (Another great book to get with the CD! John Lithgow reads it to a group of children. It's full of giggles! So when story time, nap time, bed time gets boring, pop the CD in for this book! It adds some spice to the monotany & your kids will LOVE it!)
8. The Jesus Storybook Bible - by Sally Lloyd-Jones/ Sam Shammas/ Jago (Amazing storybook for children. There are no words to tell you how incredible this book is. Not only is it the story of God's redemption & of Jesus, but it also is a great tool to help little ones see & understand that he is at the center of their personal story too. If you can't borrow this from your library, I suggest just purchasing it! It's absolutely worth it!) http://www.amazon.com/The-Jesus-Storybook-Bible-Whispers/dp/0310708257/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338840676&sr=8-1
What are your favorite children's books?
Which ones do your kids like the best?
I'd LOVE to grab some good ones the next time we visit the library.
Hugs to you!